Retired hand painted Fenton pieces can be found at Wilmot Heritage Antiques & Gifts. The Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 by brothers Frank and John Fenton in an old glass factory building in Martins Ferry, Ohio. They began by painting decorations on glass items made by other glass manufacturers. They eventually made their own glass in their new Fenton factory in Williamstown, West Virginia, on January 2, 1907.
Fenton is well known for its beautiful colors and patterns. Each piece of glass is crafted and hand painted by skilled glassworkers and decorators.
Mary Gregory white figures were painted on clear or colored glass for decoration as early as 1870. The figures chosen were usually children at play. The traditional story told has been that the glass was made at the Sandwich Glass works in Boston by a woman named Mary Gregory. In 1957, the Westmoreland Glass Co. made the first Mary Gregory-type decorations on glassware in the United States.